- How can acupuncture help me?Acupuncture is used worldwide both as a primary and complementary form of medical treatment. The list of conditions that acupuncture may help is essentially limitless (conditions treated list). The most common conditions are allergies/asthma, headaches, anxiety/depression, fertility, neurological conditions, and pain anywhere in the body.
- I have heard about your work with fertility issues, do you work with western methods or outside of those approaches?We work with fertility in either a complementary approach or as an entirely Chinese Medicine approach depending on the needs of the patient and their past experiences. The majority of patients who come to us for fertility issues have usually already tried western approaches and been unsuccessful. If we are working with western treatments, we will have some appointments timed with western interventions and will work to keep the body balanced during western hormonal treatments which clinically appear to improve outcomes with western approaches. If we are working on our own, treatment may include acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, massage and lifestyle/dietary counseling. We work with both men and women. For more information, you can contact us and/or read a general introduction to the treatment of fertility issues that I wrote.
- Can you treat more than one condition at a time?In short yes… but, technically speaking Chinese Medicine does not treat “conditions” – it treats “patterns”. The “patterns” of Chinese Medicine may include any number of western medical conditions as well as issues which have not surfaced completely (i.e. true prevention). The healing effects of acupuncture come in large part from the way the body and mind are viewed and treated in Chinese medicine. While there are basic treatment protocols for many conditions, every treatment is tailored to your specific set of signs and symptoms. Treating you as an individual with a unique set of signs and symptoms, rather than a person with a specific condition, is one of the main advantages of eastern medicine. For more information on treating patterns vs. conditions, read “What Does Acupuncture Treat?“.
- How many treatments will I need?This depends greatly on what type of condition you have. Most people will begin to see results from acupuncture in approximately 3-7 treatments. Treatments are generally administered once per week until your issues improve and then followup appointments may range from a few times per year to monthly to bi-weekly.
Most people find acupuncture treatments extremely relaxing and effective and may decide to come in for treatments after their initial conditions improve. Acupuncture is an important aspect of an overall health improvement and disease prevention program.
- Does acupuncture hurt? What are the needles like?Acupuncture needles are sterile, single use and very thin. Acupuncture needles are not much larger than the diameter of a piece of hair and most people feel nothing when the needles are inserted. It is well tolerated by all from infants to first timers in their 90’s. People are surprised to see how thin acupuncture needles are and any hesitation about the treatment disappears after the first few needles are inserted. With our techniques and painless needling methods the treatment is an enjoyable experience and the vast majority of patients simply fall asleep during the treatment.
- What other methods do you use?Each “acupuncture” treatment employs other Chinese Medicine techniques as they are deemed appropriate. These include medical qi gong (or energywork), tuina massage along the back and neck, and other techniques such as cupping which reduces muscle tension and pain and moxibustion which will make you feel more energized. We also provide basic dietary and lifestyle recommendations to allow you to play an active role in the healing process.
- How much are treatments at your center?Acupuncture Treatments are $75/session or 4 sessions for $280 when paying in advance. There are no extra fees for the initial consultation and treatment.
We also offer a Community Acupuncture clinic for $35/treatment. A brief private consultation is provided and treatments are then performed in comfortable chairs in our open space.
- Do you accept insurance?The majority of insurance companies do not cover acupuncture and those that do only cover certain conditions or reimburse low amounts. In an effort to keep our treatment fees low and provide you with the best service, we do not directly bill insurance companies. We will, however, provide you with a receipt with the required medical coding so that you may submit it to your insurer for a reimbursement – which some offer. If your insurance does not cover acupuncture, you may be able to use a health savings account which will allow you to save money tax free and use it for medical expenses outside of your coverage such as acupuncture, eye care, etc. You should contact your insurance company and/or banking institution with questions about these plans.
- Is there paperwork to fill out?
You can download our new patient paperwork for acupuncture appointments to bring in advance if you prefer.